8.06.2009

A brief birthday story . . .

Since I have no idea how much I'll be able to be on or how much I'll be able to write . . .

Sunday at 6:30 a.m. my water broke. J and I headed to the hospital at roughly 4 p.m. By the time we got settled in, the contractions had gotten quite noticeable. By about 6 p.m. I'd gone into what we'll call true labor. I did really well with the breathing exercises I was taught.

At about 9 p.m. the real pain started . . . I had gotten to 6 centimeters when I was sure that I was going to end up hanging from the ceiling from my fingernails. The nurse gave me a low dose of Statol to take the edge off the contractions, so I suppose I didn't have give birth 100% naturally, but folks let me tell you . . . ALL it did was take the edge off, just barely.

J was the most excellent childbirth coach a girl could ask for. He knew exactly when to help me with my breathing, just when to back off, and he knew just when to whisper into my ear "You're doing SO well Baby, we're almost there. We're really close. You've almost done it!"

At 12:07 a.m. T came into this world. There were no complications; we just had to use a bit of caution because the cord was over her neck, but Doc unwrapped it as soon as she was born, no problemo.

She was born 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5 inches long. She's perfect. =) She looks almost like a carbon copy of her dad minus her furrowed brow which is the only recognizable facial feature of mine that she's got! Go figure! She's got my fingers and toes too, though. She's being an excellent baby, only fussy when she absolutely needs something. She's also taken incredibly well to being breast fed. I'm proud of her for learning so quickly. Of course, now my nipples may be the most sore things on the face of the planet but that's ok, too.

So here she is, folks . . . thank you for all of your well-wishes, prayers, thoughts, visits, and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment